In this tutorial, you will learn how to turn an old t-shirt into a stylish, comfortable facemask you can wear outdoors. It’s quick, easy and does not require any sewing skills or a sewing machine! Here’s what you will need:
- 1 cotton t-shirt (at least 16” wide when you lay it flat)
- Ruler/measuring tape
- The first step is cutting off the seam at the bottom of the tshirt. Once you’ve done that, cut two strips off the bottom of the tshirt that are each 1 inch wide.
2. Now, cut 8” wide piece off the shirt. It should look like a rectangle that’s about 8”x16”.
3. Cut the edges off the strips and the rectangle so that the seams are taken off. Now you should have four 1” strips and two (approximately) 8”x16” rectangles
4. Take two strips and pull on the ends so that they curl up. Tshirt fabric is best because the ends will start to curl inward begin to resemble strings. These parts will be your ties.
5 . Take the ties and place them about 4 inches from each edge of the rectangle
6. Tie them at the top and fold the fabric on top of them
7. You have your mask! When you put it on, put your head through the top ties first and then use the ties hanging out from the bottom to sinch the mask to your size. Once you have adjusted the mask to your liking, tie the bottom ties in the back.
The mask stays on really well once you tie the strings, and I have not experienced any problems wearing it. However, as you can tell, this mask will require some assembly prior to each use. If you want to take that step out of the process, and you have sewing materials, you can do a couple quick stitches to keep everything in place. [see picture below]. I added just three basic stitches: One down the middle to hold the overlapping flaps in place, and two down the sides to keep the ties in place.
Overall, this was a quick and easy process, and it’s a very comfortable mask.